Once you’ve made the decision to change your life, it can be daunting to know just how to do it. Recently, I’ve been asked the same questions about taking the first step towards changing. “Where do I begin and how do I know what it is that I need to do?” So, as someone who has been on this journey and as a practitioner and coach, here is my guide to help you make this very important decision – to begin the journey to living your dream life.
HOW DO I KNOW WHAT I NEED?
Without understanding what different modalities offer, it can be difficult to know what it is that will help you get to where you want to be. In a nutshell, here is a breakdown of what modalities can offer you, taken from Cyndi Dale’s book:
Allopathic therapy (Western Medicine) is absolutely necessary for critical and chronic care, diagnostic needs, surgery, trauma, physical therapy, prescription medicine, etc.
Mental health treats depression, anxiety, emotional trauma, etc.
Meridian-based therapy such as acupuncture for pain, emotional issues, infertility, muscle problems, skin conditions and other physical conditions.
Chakra-based therapies for physical, emotional, spiritual and mental issues of all sorts and is a wonderful complimentary medicine to Western medicine or other therapies.
Field-based therapies such as aura clearing, aromatherapy and sound healing are also complimentary to other types of medicine to treat issues at a physical, emotional, mental and spiritual level.
Natural healing includes Ayurveda, naturopathy, nutritional medicine, exercise, homeopathy, etc. is also supportive of other modalities to balance the body, mind and soul through low-impact treatments.
Bodywork such as massage and chiropractic treatment alleviates the body from chronic conditions.
Coaching is used to specifically achieve your goals and move forward in your life using scientifically proven approaches to help get you where you need to be.
Some therapies may fit into several categories. For example, Reiki and crystal therapy are Chakra-based, treat mental health and can have similar results to body work when treating chronic pain (because physical pain is a manifestation of emotional/spiritual imbalances).
It is important that you do not rely on just one modality to always work with. We are complex beings and our health needs are also complex.
To help you decide, begin by working out exactly what your wellness goals are and then you can choose modalities and therapies to support you to achieve them. Some modalities and therapies may give you the same kinds of results in theory, but it’s really an individual preference and I would encourage you to try different modalities to see what resonates with you.
CHOOSING A PRACTITIONER
Once you decide on a modality, you’ll need to choose a practitioner. This is also not an easy decision because just because people learn certain modalities and treatments, each practitioner will have their unique way of delivering it to their clients. To begin I would recommend the following:
- Start talking to other people about their experiences
- Do your own research online to find out what different practitioners do
- Contact the practitioners directly or check them out online, because more than their qualifications, skills and experience, you need to be able to “click” with someone.
You must also understand the role of the practitioner. They are there to guide you, teach you, help, support and love you all in a safe and comfortable environment. But no body can change for you. It doesn’t matter how great they are, there comes a point where you need to accept responsibility for your own issues.
You need to accept responsibility with kindness – know that you have made choices throughout your life based on the level of consciousness you had at the time. In truth, taking responsibility is about committing to make a change. When you show the Universe that commitment, you will be unconditionally supported to achieve whatever is in the highest good.
It sounds like a cliche, but as Martin Luther King Jr. said, “You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.” And you can do this without the help of a practitioner. So while you’re figuring out who you want to help you to change, you can start doing some things to get the process started.
- Start learning more about yourself and this will help you align with the right practitioner. Self awareness is the first step to changing because you can’t change if you don’t know what it is you need to change or why you’re wanting to change. You are your thoughts – your thoughts become your actions and your actions become who you are. Start taking notice of things that you think about, things you say to yourself, opinions and beliefs you have, be aware of who and what makes you feel good and what makes you feel not so good. This is also a good time to start analysing trends in your life – what events or types of people keep repeating in your life? Other things you can do right now to begin your journey
- Meditate in whatever way works for you – whether you need to listen to music, pray, do a class or guided meditation or maybe you prefer meditation through movement (yoga). It’s a practice so don’t judge yourself, the point is that you take some time out for you to connect with your higher-self. You can read more about it here.
- Be grateful. If you feel like you have nothing to write down, just think about people, experiences, things you have and the very fact that you’re alive. Practising gratitude is a wonderful habit to get into. The more you do it the more you will make it a part of your every day life and use it to boost your mood immediately.
- Nourish your body with foods that make you feel good and if you don’t know what they are, then find out. You don’t need to see a nutritionist to eliminate certain foods to see if you’re feeling any better. Listen to what makes your body feel good.
- Move your body regularly in any way that works for you.
- Spend time in nature as much as you can. If possible, combine this with movement and meditation.
- Look in the mirror without judgement and practise being kind to yourself. Your relationship with yourself is the most important one. You set the example for how you want others to treat you.
HOW CAN I HELP?
I’ve given you an idea of what to look for. But if you’d like to know how I can help you specifically, these are the areas I work in, the way that I work and typically the types of things that someone would come and see me to help them with:
- My qualifications/skills: I am an energy healer and a coach. The energy healing modalities I predominantly use are Reiki and Crystal Therapy. I also use sound therapy and flower essences in my practice. I am a Reiki Master Teacher, Certified Crystal Practitioner and Crystal Reiki Master. I am a Certified Wellness Coach, as well as a leadership coach and Change Management consultant – coaching people through organisational change. You can learn more about me here.
- How I work: Ultimately, I want to empower you to be your best and live the life you want. I combine the spiritual with the practical which means I talk to my clients at their level. I get that life can be complex and far from easy. I am committed to helping you in a way that best suits you and your lifestyle. I deliver my services in a safe, respectful, loving and non-judgmental environment. I am not perfect and I don’t expect my clients to be either. But I do believe there is a better version of you waiting to be rediscovered. I am constantly learning and studying to improve my own self and to help my clients in the best possible way.
- Why people see me: The types of clients are usually wanting to change something about their life (their mindset, career, wellbeing, self-love, to stop repeated behaviours and patterns) or need help dealing with a change that has happened (a break-up, job situation etc). I work best with clients who are committed to truly improving their lives. As mentioned above, if you don’t take responsibility for change, then you won’t move forward.
READY TO START?
I hope this has helped you to make that first step towards living the life of your dreams. You deserve it and you are totally worthy of it. I know it because you are a creation from Mother Earth and she only creates from Love. If you’d like to know more about how I can help you or you have a question about how to start your own journey, I’d love to hear from you.
In love and light